"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." - Jimi Hendrix

"Obstacles are those scary things you see when you take your eyes off the goal." - Henry Ford

Thursday, July 15, 2010

A Change Is Gonna Come

This song was originally written in 1963 by Sam Cooke. It talks about the hardships faced by African Americans during the Civil Rights' Era. The songwriter offers a historic perspective on the events. The singer of the one on the CD (Seal) does not. This song includes an event from the life of Sam Cooke. The line "I go to the movie and I go downtown, Somebody keep telling me don't hang around" is something that happened to him. He was arrested for "disturbing the peace" for trying to go to an "all whites" motel (pretty dumb...) I think it is a pretty good song. I think Seal's version is a good tribute to Sam Cooke's version. It is extremely similar, I think it captures that vibe and persona that comes from Sam Cooke's 60's version. It allows us to learn of the hardships faced by African Americans during this time period. This is especially true of the parts that talk of being told to leave the movies and of being beaten.

0 comments:

Post a Comment